One of my most recent projects was the kid’s room, and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. It all started with an old dresser I was thinking of selling but then had a vision, then had tunnel vision, and then there was no turning back. It took some time, but was easier than I thought. And while this may not be the best way to do it, it was the easiest and cheapest option I could find. When I wanted to do this, I had no idea how, and I thought I’d share the steps I took for those of you looking to do something similar.
First, let me show you the space. This is my kids room the day we moved in below.
And this is the dresser that was literally an inch too wide to fit in between the closets. **Que a huge buzz kill**
First thing I did, was have someone come and saw off the sides. And it was in!
Next I wanted to remove all the “feet” on the bottom of the dresser for a more cohesive look so that it was flat on the ground, and also because the dresser was too high for the window. Luckily that part was easy because they screwed right off. The other issue was, there was a gap in between the dresser and the window–so I went to home depot, bought a piece of plywood, and we nailed it on the top and you can see below.
The next thing was, I HATED how there was a gap in between the dresser and the closet. There were a few options here, but we ended up getting insulating foam sealant and pre-mixed joint compound to fill the gaps. I will say it took two separate days because it would shrink after drying.
And there it is, filled up. It then took some very careful sanding to smooth it out. I will say, it’s not perfect by any stretch, but I was happy with the outcome and couldn’t wait to paint and swap out the hardware!
I was so excited when the Rejuvenation hardware came in, I tried it on even before I painted. Just look at the difference in the closet handles! This is actually a drawer pull–it’s the 12-inch Elroy Drawer Pull and it was worth every penny.
And for the dresser, I bought the Dish Cabinet Knob with round plate. The work on all the Rejuvenation hardware is absolutely beautiful. I then painted everything using Greige Trim Paint from Clare Paint and I was done!
I am so in love!
I could not be happier, and this completely transformed the room. And if you’d like to know how I color blocked this wall, check out my easy DIY here. Let me know if you’ve done something similar, or plan to do something similar–I’d love to see! And please, sign up for my email updates below. I promise I won’t spam you. We can be best buds.